$4.00 Centerpiece

I needed a quick centerpiece idea for the $500 wedding class I was teaching and as I was shopping at Walmart, thinking about how much I really didn't want to run another errand, I noticed the craft section.  Sticking to my idea that all centerpieces should cost under $5.00, I grabbed a block of Styrofoam and started thinking about how I could pretty it up.  It cost about $2.99 and looking around, I noticed some autumn silk flowers on clearance, and grabbed a few bundles.  It's all coming together, I thought.  I snatched up four bundles at 25 cents each and we after a quick assembly, we had ourselves a centerpiece. 

You'll need the following supplies:
1. Block of Styrofoam  (I used a long block but really you could use any shape, a small block or cone would look just as nice and maybe adding different shapes but using the same flowers would be cute.)
2. Silk/fabric flowers.  I used autumn colors because that was what I found on sale, but pick whatever combination looks best for you.  When in doubt, or if you're not 100% on what your colors are, go with all white.  All white flowers with silverware, a white table cloth, candles, and wine glasses is always beautiful.
3. Sharp craft scissors or wire cutters.  I used basic scissors at first and it was awful and dangerous.  Get something that is safe and efficient to use.
 
I cut the stems about three inches from the flower head.  You can always cut more if you want but you need some length in order to keep them sturdy inside the Styrofoam.

 I arranged the flowers so that the colors were evenly distributed and the shape looked right.  There is room to arrange it so that tea lights can be mixed in with the flowers (I would absolutely use the fake battery-powered tea lights here, those real ones with start this whole thing on fire for sure.  You want a memorable party but that may be a little extreme.)




And that's it!  Don't mind my table setting above.  My family was actually cleaning up Lego's and vacuuming as I was trying to put a quick setting together.  Again, I'd use all white flowers or red rose buds with grass shoots instead of the harvest flowers although if you're doing a fall or Halloween decor, this might be perfect.  Up to you!  That's the fun of it!

Have an idea? Share it here by posting a comment below. Let's all help each other out.

No comments:

Post a Comment